There is something about roasting a chicken that just makes your house smell like home. And when it’s about a chicken roast, then nothing can beat the Akbar Joojeh recipe.
Akbar Joojeh is originally from the city of Gulugah in Iran.
- Watch video by Village Tale:
- Written Recipe by Search The Top
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken pieces, onion, garlic, yogurt, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, salt and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place chicken pieces in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cumin. Pour lemon juice over chicken. Dot with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté until golden brown. Stir in garlic, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and tomato sauce to the skillet. Simmer for10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken pieces in the roasting pan, and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over rice.