Recipe by Musician, Singer, and Songwriter Azam Ali
In a career which spans over fifteen years and includes thirteen collaborative and solo albums as well as two prestigious Canadian JUNO Award nominations, Azam Ali has confirmed her place as being one of the most prolific, versatile, and gifted singers and composers on the international stage today.
Based in Los Angeles, USA, Azam first became internationally recognized for her work with Vas, the best-selling world music duo she co-founded in 1996. Today, her most notable work is with the electronic/ acoustic group Niyaz which she co-founded in 2004.
Aside from her ensemble work, Azam has released a number of acclaimed solo albums and has contributed to major film and television soundtracks in Hollywood. Azam’s distinctive voice can be heard on myriad film and television scores among which include “Thor- The Dark World”, “Matrix- Revolutions”, “Prince of Persia- The Sands of Time”, “300”, “Godsend”, “The Priest”, “John Carter”, “Paparazzi”, “The Nativity Story”, “Speed Racer”, “Lara Croft- Tomb raider”, “The Fight Club”, “Season of the witch”, “Children of Dune”, “Earthsea”, “Dawn of the Dead”, “True Blood”, “Alias”, “The Agency, and “Prison Break”.” – Excerpts of biography from azamalimusic.com
Aside from her musical career, Azam is an accomplished chef. Kayhan Life is pleased to receive and feature this week, Azam Ali’s “Vegan Kotlet (Cotlette)” recipe.
16oz choice of meat or Beyond Meat
2-3 Russett Potatoes
All purpose flour
Plain or Italian seasoned bread crumbs ( I use plain, add Himalayan salt, pepper, dried parsley, onion power & garlic power)
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until fully cooked
2. Grate onion.
3. The most crucial step is to strain all water from the grated onion otherwise your cutlets will not hold together.
4. Grate or mash cooked potatoes
5. Mix meat or Beyond Meat into a large bowl with grated onions & potatoes.
6. Add one egg, half cup bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon flour with salt & pepper to taste
7. Knead with hands until fully mixed into a batter
8. Spread bread crumbs in large plate
9. Make small balls & cover in bread crumbs
10. Fry in choice of cooking oil on medium heat until brown on each side
11. Place on paper towels on plate to strain excess oil
12. Enjoy, Noosh-e-Jan, Bon Appetit