Video By Saadia’s Cuisine
Written Recipe By Archana’s Kitchen
A leavened bread that is flavored with saffron and cardamom, and topped with Kalonji (black cumin) seeds.
Note: I have over the years noticed that the flour that is used is very important to get the right texture. The fresher the flour the better the bread, the more the flour has sat in your flour box or an opened packet, and the less fresh it feels. The flours also differ from region to region, so it takes time to get used to flour and before you know and get adapted to the new flour.
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoon Active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 2 teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Nigella Seeds)
- Salt, to taste
How to make Persian Style Taftan Recipe:
- To begin making the Persian Style Taftan Recipe, we will first have to get your ingredients ready especially the yeast. If you are using active dry yeast (which looks like small round balls), we will allow it to bloom in lukewarm milk with sugar added.
- Keep it aside for some time till it forms bubbles. This can be done with quick yeast as well.
- Mix all the ingredients into the flour except kalonji seeds. Also, add the yeast and milk mixture and knead it to form a soft dough.
- Knead well onto the kitchen surface and shape into a ball and rest it in the bowl for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out and knock out the air and knead some for a few minutes. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Pinch out a small portion of the dough and flatten it using your fingers to 1/2 centimeter thick dough.
- Add Kalonji seeds on top and place them on a grill pan and do the same or the rest of the dough.
- Place the pan inside the oven and bake it at 180 degrees Celsius for at least 20 minutes until it is light brown.