#Repost – Hoda Mardani @hodaskitchensd on Instagram
𝔹𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕪𝕖𝕙 𝕚𝕤 𝕒 𝕕𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕔𝕚𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕤𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕥 𝕕𝕖𝕤𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕥 𝕞𝕒𝕕𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕒 𝕓𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪 𝕤𝕚𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕒𝕣 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕔𝕝𝕒𝕚𝕣 𝕓𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕖𝕣, 𝕚𝕥’𝕤𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕕𝕖𝕖𝕡 𝕗𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕕, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕤𝕠𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕕 𝕚𝕟 𝕤𝕒𝕗𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕣𝕠𝕤𝕖𝕨𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕤𝕪𝕣𝕦𝕡. 𝔹𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕪𝕖𝕙 𝕚𝕤 𝕔𝕣𝕦𝕟𝕔𝕙𝕪 𝕠𝕦𝕥𝕤𝕚𝕕𝕖, 𝕤𝕠𝕗𝕥 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕞𝕠𝕚𝕤𝕥 𝕚𝕟𝕤𝕚𝕕𝕖.
- 1 Cup flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Tsp saffron
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp rose water
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
1) Soak saffron in a bowl with 1/4c of boiling water for 20 minutes.
2) Make the simple syrup. In a small pot, add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water and boil until thickened. Make sure it does not caramelize. When almost thickened, add 1 Tb rose water and 3 tsp saffron liquid to pot and continue boiling for 3 more minutes. When done, put aside.
3) In another pot, add 1 cup water, 2 Tb sugar and 3 Tb of butter. Put on low heat and stir until the butter is melted and everything blended.
4) On low heat, add 1 cup flour to the pot and use a spatula to mix the flour into the butter until it looks like a dough ball. When done, remove from heat and allow to get at room temperature (I stuck it in the fridge to help speed it up).
5) When dough is at room temperature, add it to a large bowl and mix in 2 eggs (1 at a time) until everything is incorporated. The dough is very sticky so it helps to use a hand mixer if you have one.
6) Heat a large skillet with 1 in of oil and bring to 3725 degrees.
7) Transfer dough to a piping bag with desired tip and squeeze out small doughnuts into the oil. Use a knife to help cut the dough as you’re frying them.
8) Fry the zoolbias (dough) on each side until golden brown (2-3 minutes on each side). When done, use a mesh spoon to shake of excess oil and transfer them to saffron syrup. Coat the syrup all over the doughnuts.
9) Repeat until all dough and syrup is used.
Written Recipe Adapted by Aashpazi.com
Author: Samantha Ferraro