By Louisa Shafia
Baghali Polo | Colorful Festive Persian Style Rice | Norouz Recipes | باقالی پلو – Bing video
- 3 cups water
- Sea salt
- 2 cups white basmati rice, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons butter or unrefined coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 pound pound fresh fava beans, shelled and peeled, or 1 pound frozen lima beans, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ghee or grapeseed oil
- 2 cups tightly packed minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground and steeped in 1 tablespoon hot water
Drain the rice and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. In a stockpot, bring the water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add the rice, return to a boil, then turn down the heat to its lowest setting. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes, then dot with the butter and fluff with a fork. The rice should be dry and fluffy.
While the rice cooks, prepare the favas. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Drop the favas into the boiling water, return to a boil, and cook for
2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and shock in the ice water.
Heat the ghee in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the favas for 3 minutes, until heated through. Add the dill and cook for about 1 minute, until just wilted. Combine the favas and rice in a large bowl and drizzle in the saffron. Mix gently, season with salt, and serve.