View this post on Instagram
· 1-2 medium potato
· 1/2 cup cooked lentils
· 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans
· 5 or 6 medium roma tomatoes
· 1 large onion
· 1-2 cloves garlic
· 1 large eggplant
· 1-2 cups vegetable broth
· 1 cup fresh ginger turmeric tea/broth
· ½ tsp advieh mix
· 1 tsp turmeric
· 1 tsp powdered dry lime
· 1 tsp saffron
· 3-4 whole dried lime
· 1-2 tbsp olive oil
· salt and pepper to taste
To prep your ingredients
1. Caramelize onions with 1-2 tbsps olive oil and salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Boil tomatoes for a couple of minutes and then blanch in cold water to take skin off easily, then chop into big chunks.
3. Boil peeled and chopped potatoes in salt water.
4. Roast eggplant in oven with olive oil and salt and pepper.
5. Gather cooked garbanzo and lentils.
6. Mince garlic and chop Fresno chili without seeds, keep seeds in if enjoy spicy, feel free to use any pepper of choice (ie: jalapeño).
- TO COOK:
1. To your already caramelized onions add your boiled potatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans, roasted eggplants, toss in fresh garlic and Fresno chili, add all spices turmeric, dried lime powder, saffron, advieh mix, feel free to add salt and pepper to taste, but everything has been pre-seasoned when prepped so keep that in mind.
2. Mix all ingredients well, make sure are the spices are combined and sautéed so all the flavors of the spices come out before adding liquid.
3. Add your blanched and peeled tomatoes, add vegetable broth, and fresh ginger turmeric tea. Add your whole dried limes with holes put in them so they can soften and absorb liquid. Stir everything together.
4. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- TO SERVE:
1. Separate your vegetables and beans from your liquid.
2. Smash your Abgoosht or the “meat” ingredients in your dish and make it nice and creamy.
3. You are going to use your liquid for your teeleet. You can use lavash bread, pita bread, any bread of choice and add to your soup.
4. Feel free to serve Abgoosht with pickled vegetables, or diced onion and herbs, however you like.