By Chef Shiva Sahebanfard
In this episode of #FarhangFlavor by Farhang Foundation, Chef Shiva Sahebanfard of the popular Instagram page @FitKetoKitchen, reinvents the classic Persian Saffron “Tahchin,” a traditionally baked layered white rice dish intermixed with saffron, yogurt, and marinated shredded chicken.
In today’s episode, Chef Shiva significantly reduces the carb count of this dish by replacing white rice with cauliflower rice, all while still preserving the traditional look and taste of the classic dish. This delicious dish bakes in the oven after a drizzle of butter, and when it comes out, the rice cakes get inverted onto a platter, resulting in the top layer of golden brown, crunchy perfection.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Persian brewed saffron
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cups frozen cauliflower rice
Melted butter for greasing the pan.
Cooked shredded chicken (I cooked Saffron marinated chicken with caramelized onion and then shredded the chickens)
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp saffron
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Put a pan on medium heat and layer the chopped onions at the bottom of the pan
- Add half of all the spices ( paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper)
- Add the chicken thighs on top
- Add the rest of all the spices on top of chickens ( paprika, turmeric, garlic powder, salt, and pepper)
- Add the Saffron on top
- Cut the butter into small pieces and put them on top of the chickens and spices
- Put the lid on and let it cook for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, flip all the chickens and add 1 to 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Put the lid on and let it cook for another 15 minutes
-Cauliflower rice mixture:
- Add the yogurt to the mixing bowl
- Add one room temperature egg, saffron and cardamom, and oil to the yogurt and mix them well.
- Add the cauliflower to the mixture and combine them together.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Brush the pan with melted butter.
- Add the cauliflower mixture at the bottom of the pan, press it down and make it even.
- Add the shredded chicken on top of the cauliflower mixture.
- Complete the layers by adding another layer of cauliflower mixture on top of the chicken.
- Put the pan in the oven for 45 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool down for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Invert the pan to the serving dish and enjoy.